When is the Olympics?
In 2016 the Summer Olympics and Paralympic Games are being hosted the City of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
When is the 2016 Olympic Games?
The Rio 2016 Olympic Games start on 5 August 2016 with the Opening Ceremony.
The Rio 2016 Olympic Games end on 21 August 2016 with the Closing Ceremony.
When is the 2016 Paralympic Games?
The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games start on 7 September 2016 with the Opening Ceremony.
The Rio 2016 Paralympic Games end on 18 September 2016 with the Closing Ceremony.
More information about the 2016 Summer Olympic Games.
Countdown to the Olympics
There are 1170 days until the Olympics.
There are 28097 hours until the Olympics.
2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games
In 2012 the Olympics and Paralympic games were hosted by London, UK.
The London 2012 Olympic Games started on Friday 27 July 2012 and closed on Sunday 12 August.
The London 2012 Paralympic Games started on Wednesday 29 August and closed on Sunday 9 August.
10 Olympics Facts
1. The London 2012 mascots are called Wenlock and Mandeville. The mascots are are based on a short story by Michael Morpurgo that tells how they were created from droplets of the steel used to build the Olympic stadium.
Wenlock is named after the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock which was an inspiration for Pierre de Coubertin to launch the modern Olympics.
Mandeville is inspired by the Buckinghamshire town of Stoke Mandeville where the Paralympics were founded.
2. The first recorded Olympic Games took place in 766 BC in Greece. The Games involved just one race in which the competitors ran naked.
3. The International Olympic Committee was founded in 1894.
4. The first modern day Olympic Games took place in 1896 in Athens.
5. Women compete for the first time in track and field events at the Amsterdam Games in 1928.
6. The first worldwide televised coverage of the Olympics took place in 1960.
7. The stadium built for the 2000 Sydney Olympic Games is the largest ever built.
8. The stadium built for the 2012 London Olympic Games is the first to be demountable, allowing it to be dismantled and moved elsewhere after the Games.
9. This is the third time London has hosted the Olympic Games. They have hosted it twice before in 1908 and 1948.
10. 205 nations are expected to take part in 300 events at the 2012 Olympics. 147 nations will compete in the 2012 Paralympic Games.